The Mylodon Cave became known to the world a little over 100 years ago when in 1895 the settler Eberhard Hermann visited the cave and found inside it a strange skin with thick hairs. Scientists as well as curious people were both interested in the finding and soon it was established that it was the the fur of a Mylodon, a large extinct sloth. This led to numerous scientific expeditions, but also that the looters dug in the cave looking for remains that they sold to collectors and museums, mainly in Europe.
During the past 100 years the Mylodon Cave and its surroundings have been a rich source of knowledge that has contributed decisively to knowing the past of Patagonia and humanity.
In 1968 this area was declared a Historic Monument by the Ministry of Education, and in 1993 became the Mylodon Cave Natural Monument (Monumento Natural Cueva del Milodón), joining the System of Protected Areas of the State (Sistema de Áreas Protegidas del Estado). It is currently administered by CONAF.